Los Angeles News
West Hollywood apartment explosion believed caused by man's alleged drug lab
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A man believed to be extracting THC from marijuana reportedly caused a frightening explosion at his West Hollywood apartment on Friday.
The man was rushed to the hospital moments after the major explosion inside his apartment. There was no word on his condition.
"He was using chemicals with marijuana to extract THC. It's some term that they use like honey butter," said Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Quvondo Johnson.
There are many how-to videos posted to YouTube on how to make honey butter or honey oil. They explain how to use highly flammable butane to extract oils from marijuana. The finished product is a very concentrated form of pot.
"Whatever he was doing it had a flash and it blew out the windows," said Johnson.
"I had gotten home from work, I got situated and I heard a big boom, and I just thought it was a car accident happening down the street," said witness Scott Backman.
The explosion happened inside a courtyard and never started a fire, but it did blow out several walls.
"There's debris from the wall exploding, there was dust everywhere. Pieces of the wall everywhere. I saw a couple of neighbors running around," said witness Nick Rafferty.
The explosion displaced dozens of residents for much of the evening. Most of them were allowed back in by 11 p.m., however investigators continued to examine the structural integrity of several apartments.
explosion, west hollywood, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax 53 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured 1 min ago
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million 31 min ago
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- Google Glass raises public privacy concerns
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
53 min ago