Los Angeles News
UCLA students troubled by rash of crimes
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police are searching for two suspects who robbed an unidentified man near the UCLA campus, the latest incident in a string of crimes in Westwood.
The robbery occurred as the victim was walking northbound on Landfair Avenue towards Gayle Avenue around 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
According to authorities, one of the suspects grabbed the victim from behind and pinned his arms as the second suspect punched the victim multiple times. The second suspect then took the victim's cellphone, wallet and car keys. The two men were last seen running westbound on Gayley Avenue from Landfair Avenue.
The first suspect was described as a black male with a thin build, between the ages of 20 and 30 years old, standing approximately 6 feet and weighing between 150 and 180 pounds.
The second suspect was described as black male with a medium build, between the ages of 20 and 30 years old, standing approximately 6 feet and weighing between 180 and 200 pounds.
Both suspects were last seen wearing dark hooded jackets.
The victim, who is not affiliated with UCLA, suffered minor abrasions to his forehead.
The incident is the fourth one near campus in January.
On Jan. 7, a UCLA student was robbed on Veteran Avenue. About an hour later, a female student was the victim of an attempted sexual assault near parking structure nine. On Jan. 18, two suspects threatened a student with a knife and made anti-gay slurs on Gayley Avenue.
In a statement, a UCLA official said, "UCLA is located in one of the safest neighborhoods in Los Angeles and our highly trained and dedicated police force is committed to keeping the entire campus community safe."
The incidents are under investigation.
Anyone with information on the incidents was asked to contact the UCLA Police Department at (310) 825-1491.
robbery, ucla, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Blind, autistic piano prodigy inspires others
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- 4 stabbed in parking lot after Broncos game
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son