Los Angeles News
Pasadena to unveil dedicated Bicycle Boulevard
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- There's good news for bicyclists in Pasadena. The city is opening a dedicated Bicycle Boulevard, which includes a special stretch along a popular boulevard for folks under pedal power.
The 3/4-mile lane runs along Marengo Avenue between Orange Grove and Washington boulevards. It is only for bicyclists and cars are not allowed through. Rich Dilluvio, Pasadena's transportation planner, said the lane creates a convenient thoroughfare for bicyclists.
"What it lacked previously was, cyclists didn't have a way to go through. They would either have to get off their bikes or get onto the crosswalk to walk around to continue on," said Dilluvio. "What this does now, it makes it legal for cyclists to actually make the through-movement into this nice community that cars can't make."
Dilluvio added that the new lane is beneficial for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike, because it increases safety and decreases traffic congestion. Special bicycle signals at either sides of Marengo will alert bicyclists when it is their turn to enter the area.
The Bicycle Boulevard project was funded by a $500,000 Caltrans grant and supported by area residents.
Pasadena Mayor Bill Bogaard and Councilman Victor Gordo were expected to take part in a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the project's unveiling at 3 p.m. Thursday.
pasadena, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 32 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 20 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt 23 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court 41 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer 58 min ago
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 34 min ago
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis