Los Angeles News
Pasadena to unveil dedicated Bicycle Boulevard
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- There's good news for bicyclists in Pasadena. The city is opening a dedicated Bicycle Boulevard, which includes a special stretch along a popular boulevard for folks under pedal power.
The 3/4-mile lane runs along Marengo Avenue between Orange Grove and Washington boulevards. It is only for bicyclists and cars are not allowed through. Rich Dilluvio, Pasadena's transportation planner, said the lane creates a convenient thoroughfare for bicyclists.
"What it lacked previously was, cyclists didn't have a way to go through. They would either have to get off their bikes or get onto the crosswalk to walk around to continue on," said Dilluvio. "What this does now, it makes it legal for cyclists to actually make the through-movement into this nice community that cars can't make."
Dilluvio added that the new lane is beneficial for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike, because it increases safety and decreases traffic congestion. Special bicycle signals at either sides of Marengo will alert bicyclists when it is their turn to enter the area.
The Bicycle Boulevard project was funded by a $500,000 Caltrans grant and supported by area residents.
Pasadena Mayor Bill Bogaard and Councilman Victor Gordo were expected to take part in a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the project's unveiling at 3 p.m. Thursday.
pasadena, los angeles news, darsha philips
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought 29 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres 21 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack 32 min ago
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries 50 min ago
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Woman's remains found at OC wilderness park
53 min ago