Los Angeles News
Pasadena to unveil dedicated Bicycle Boulevard
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- There's good news for bicyclists in Pasadena. The city is opening a dedicated Bicycle Boulevard, which includes a special stretch along a popular boulevard for folks under pedal power.
The 3/4-mile lane runs along Marengo Avenue between Orange Grove and Washington boulevards. It is only for bicyclists and cars are not allowed through. Rich Dilluvio, Pasadena's transportation planner, said the lane creates a convenient thoroughfare for bicyclists.
"What it lacked previously was, cyclists didn't have a way to go through. They would either have to get off their bikes or get onto the crosswalk to walk around to continue on," said Dilluvio. "What this does now, it makes it legal for cyclists to actually make the through-movement into this nice community that cars can't make."
Dilluvio added that the new lane is beneficial for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists alike, because it increases safety and decreases traffic congestion. Special bicycle signals at either sides of Marengo will alert bicyclists when it is their turn to enter the area.
The Bicycle Boulevard project was funded by a $500,000 Caltrans grant and supported by area residents.
Pasadena Mayor Bill Bogaard and Councilman Victor Gordo were expected to take part in a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the project's unveiling at 3 p.m. Thursday.
pasadena, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, man shot 7 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 3 min ago
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident 31 min ago
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela 3 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes