Los Angeles News
Mid-City fatal crash occurred during passing attempt
MID-CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police are looking into whether speed is to blame for a deadly head-on crash in Mid-City.
The incident occurred shortly before 11 p.m. Friday in the 2100 block of West Boulevard. Witnesses told police a car was going about 90 mph when he struck a pick-up truck.
The driver of the pickup, 72-year-old Jerry Welch, was just one house away from his home when he was hit. Investigators determined that Welch was making a left turn into his driveway when a silver Mercedes-Benz passed a yellow line to pass another car and collided head-on with Welch's pickup.
Welch was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The driver of the Mercedes-Benz took off on foot. Two passengers in the Mercedes were taken to the hospital.
Welch's family members said he was a professional baseball player in Panama for 25 years before moving to the U.S. He had been married 55 years.
"It was my dad, good man," Tony Welch said. "Last night, his life was taken away senseless."
"He was always the life of the party," said Niecey Marcado, a relative. "Whenever he came anytime he always walked in and it was like joy walked in the door because Jerry was always with a big smile on his face."
Neighbors said they often hear cars speeding down their street and would like to see speed bumps installed.
Anyone with information on the fatal collision is asked to call the LAPD at (213) 473-0220.
mid-city, car crash, los angeles news, amy powell
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months