Los Angeles News
Mid-City fatal crash occurred during passing attempt
MID-CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police are looking into whether speed is to blame for a deadly head-on crash in Mid-City.
The incident occurred shortly before 11 p.m. Friday in the 2100 block of West Boulevard. Witnesses told police a car was going about 90 mph when he struck a pick-up truck.
The driver of the pickup, 72-year-old Jerry Welch, was just one house away from his home when he was hit. Investigators determined that Welch was making a left turn into his driveway when a silver Mercedes-Benz passed a yellow line to pass another car and collided head-on with Welch's pickup.
Welch was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The driver of the Mercedes-Benz took off on foot. Two passengers in the Mercedes were taken to the hospital.
Welch's family members said he was a professional baseball player in Panama for 25 years before moving to the U.S. He had been married 55 years.
"It was my dad, good man," Tony Welch said. "Last night, his life was taken away senseless."
"He was always the life of the party," said Niecey Marcado, a relative. "Whenever he came anytime he always walked in and it was like joy walked in the door because Jerry was always with a big smile on his face."
Neighbors said they often hear cars speeding down their street and would like to see speed bumps installed.
Anyone with information on the fatal collision is asked to call the LAPD at (213) 473-0220.
mid-city, car crash, los angeles news, amy powell
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls 33 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Heart rate fitness tool helps burn calories
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 2013 Cannes fashion: celebs don white (Poll)
- News conference on Oklahoma tornado
26 min ago
- SoCal team advances to NAIA World Series
31 min ago