Los Angeles News
College students held up at knifepoint in Azusa; 2 suspects arrested, 1 at large
AZUSA, Calif. (KABC) -- A group of college students was held up at knifepoint in Azusa overnight. Two suspects were arrested but one remains at large.
Six students were leaving an all-night restaurant on the 700 block of East Alosta Avenue early Sunday morning when they were approached by three people - two males and a female.
Authorities say the suspects began walking with the group as they traveled westbound on Alosta Avenue. The victims, whose identities were not released, said the male suspects initially attempted to sell them drugs before demanding money. The suspects surrounded them and threatened them with a knife.
When the victims saw the knife, they made a run for it. The students split in different directions. Police say the male suspects reportedly chased after one of the victims but all six victims were fortunately able to safely escape. That's when one of the victims called 911 and reported the attempted robbery to police.
Responding officers located the male suspects and detained them before they could flee the scene. Jimmy Melgoza, 21, and Esteban Lopez, 21, both of Azusa, were arrested and held on $50,000 bail.
The unidentified female's involvement in the attempted robbery remains unclear. She left the area of the incident before officers arrived.
No property was stolen during the attempt and no one was injured.
Anyone with information regarding the attempted robbery or with information regarding the female subject's identity was asked to contact the Azusa Police Department at (626) 812-3200.
robbery, arrest, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 57 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Tips for adjusting to daylight-saving time 9 min ago
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months