Los Angeles News
Cop car crashes into South LA building during pursuit
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A police officer crashed his patrol vehicle into a building in South Los Angeles during a pursuit of a reckless driver Sunday night.
The crash happened a minute into the pursuit at 85th and San Pedro streets around 9:10 p.m.
The driver of the gray BMW being pursued hit the curb while turning westbound on 85th Street, and the officer following close behind lost control, crashing into an emergency shelter for women and children.
No one inside the shelter was injured, but the building was red tagged due to extensive damage. Authorities said 11 adults and 21 children have been displaced.
The two officers inside the vehicle were taken to a hospital. One has since been released. The second officer remains in the hospital with a fractured ankle.
The suspect is still at large, but investigators have found the BMW.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department's Newton Station at (323) 846-6547.
car crash, pursuit, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 32 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere