Los Angeles News
Cop car crashes into South LA building during pursuit
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A police officer crashed his patrol vehicle into a building in South Los Angeles during a pursuit of a reckless driver Sunday night.
The crash happened a minute into the pursuit at 85th and San Pedro streets around 9:10 p.m.
The driver of the gray BMW being pursued hit the curb while turning westbound on 85th Street, and the officer following close behind lost control, crashing into an emergency shelter for women and children.
No one inside the shelter was injured, but the building was red tagged due to extensive damage. Authorities said 11 adults and 21 children have been displaced.
The two officers inside the vehicle were taken to a hospital. One has since been released. The second officer remains in the hospital with a fractured ankle.
The suspect is still at large, but investigators have found the BMW.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department's Newton Station at (323) 846-6547.
car crash, pursuit, los angeles news
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 39 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- New ACL surgery technique reduces failure rate
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10
- Tankless water heaters becoming affordable
41 min ago