Los Angeles News
MTA bus hits 2 pedestrians in West Hollywood; 1 killed
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A pedestrian was killed and another was hospitalized in critical condition after being hit by an MTA bus in West Hollywood late Monday night.
The incident happened around 11:40 p.m. at a crosswalk on the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Palm Avenue. The bus was heading eastbound and the two men had just crossed the center median when they were hit.
Both victims were rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where one later died.
Officials say the bus was not in service at the time of the accident, it was being moved from a bus yard to a West Hollywood facility. The bus was being driven by a maintenance worker, who MTA officials say was qualified to drive a bus.
Officials do not believe the driver was speeding. Authorities are downloading footage from the video camera on the bus, which will be used in the investigation.
Local residents say that section of Santa Monica Boulevard is always congested, and this crosswalk is not controlled by a traffic light and can be dangerous.
"A lot of people just aren't paying attention," said West Hollywood resident John Davis. "Even with a crosswalk like this that's heavily marked."
The MTA and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department are investigating. As part of the routine procedure, there will be a drug test and the driver will be placed on administrative leave until the investigation is finished.
accident, los angeles news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'
- Aulani Resort is perfect holiday getaway
54 min ago