Los Angeles News
Police officer shootings: Statewide 'officer safety alert' issued
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Police Department is taking steps to protect its staff amid a massive manhunt for a former LAPD officer.
Christopher Dorner is suspected of shooting three officers and penning a manifesto threatening more violence.
In fact, Sgt. Rudy Lopez early Thursday said the LAPD has eliminated motorcycle patrols and single-officer dispatches.
"Right now, we are having all of our officers work in two-man units. Our motor officers are not being deployed," Lopez said during a news conference.
Additionally, Chief Charlie Beck said LAPD has deployed 40 protective details to protect officers mentioned in the manifesto.
"We are taking all measures possible to ensure safety of our officers and their families," Beck said.
Local and federal agencies, including the FBI and the US Marshals, are involved in the manhunt for Dorner, a Navy veteran who authorities say is likely heavily armed and able to access military uniforms. He is believed to be wearing military-style fatigues and body armor.
The LAPD was on tactical alert Thursday, meaning all units remain on active duty with constant command communication until further notice. Other Southern California agencies were also on full alert.
A statewide "officer safety warning" was issued as a result of Dorner's threats and actions.
Officers were sent to guard family members of LAPD personnel due to specific threats in Dorner's manifesto.
Dorner is wanted in connection with a double murder in Irvine. He is also suspected of fatally shooting one Riverside police officer, and wounding another, while also allegedly shooting an LAPD officer in Corona.
lapd, shooting, murder, body found, chris dorner, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 48 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 29 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 27 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book