Los Angeles News
Police officer shootings: Statewide 'officer safety alert' issued
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Police Department is taking steps to protect its staff amid a massive manhunt for a former LAPD officer.
Christopher Dorner is suspected of shooting three officers and penning a manifesto threatening more violence.
In fact, Sgt. Rudy Lopez early Thursday said the LAPD has eliminated motorcycle patrols and single-officer dispatches.
"Right now, we are having all of our officers work in two-man units. Our motor officers are not being deployed," Lopez said during a news conference.
Additionally, Chief Charlie Beck said LAPD has deployed 40 protective details to protect officers mentioned in the manifesto.
"We are taking all measures possible to ensure safety of our officers and their families," Beck said.
Local and federal agencies, including the FBI and the US Marshals, are involved in the manhunt for Dorner, a Navy veteran who authorities say is likely heavily armed and able to access military uniforms. He is believed to be wearing military-style fatigues and body armor.
The LAPD was on tactical alert Thursday, meaning all units remain on active duty with constant command communication until further notice. Other Southern California agencies were also on full alert.
A statewide "officer safety warning" was issued as a result of Dorner's threats and actions.
Officers were sent to guard family members of LAPD personnel due to specific threats in Dorner's manifesto.
Dorner is wanted in connection with a double murder in Irvine. He is also suspected of fatally shooting one Riverside police officer, and wounding another, while also allegedly shooting an LAPD officer in Corona.
lapd, shooting, murder, body found, chris dorner, los angeles news
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2