Los Angeles News
Tow-truck driver struck, killed by suspected DUI driver in Malibu
CALABASAS, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman is facing felony hit-and-run charges, accused of fatally plowing into a tow-truck driver in Malibu.
The incident occurred around 9 p.m. Monday on the southbound lanes of Pacific Coast Highway near John Tyler Drive.
According to investigators, tow-truck driver Ronald Carver was rendering aid and hooking up to a disabled car when he was struck by a silver Audi traveling southbound on Pacific Coast Highway.
The driver, identified as Jill Rose, 44, of Santa Monica, reportedly hit the ramp of the tow-truck at an angle, went airborne, did a complete barrol roll, and may have struck Carver while in midair.
After the Audi landed on its wheels, Rose fled the scene and continued driving south before crashing into a parked car about two miles away near the Malibu Pier. She was transported to the hospital for an examination and is now facing felony hit-and-run and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol charges.
Carver, 45, of Newbury Park, was pronounced dead at the scene. The victim worked for Platinum Tow, which transports out of Westlake Village, and was well known around the community.
Los Angeles Sheriff's Sgt. Phillip Brooks knew Carver and described him as a kind and helpful person who will be greatly missed.
"The first time I met him I was actually on my way home in my vintage Volkswagen on the side of the freeway when I had a problem and he pulled over and, you know, I told him 'it just stopped,'" Brooks said. "He took a look and he found a wire that was loose. We hooked it back up and it was ready to go."
Carver is survived by his wife and three kids.
The incident remains under investigation. The crash prompted the closure of Pacific Coast Highway as investigators cleared the scene. All lanes of Pacific Coast Highway were reopened around 5 a.m. Tuesday.
car crash, dui, arrest, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 6 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 38 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 47 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 10 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 59 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks