Los Angeles News
Cardinal Mahony to be deposed in abuse lawsuit
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony, the former Roman Catholic archbishop of Los Angeles, will be deposed in a clergy abuse lawsuit.
The recently retired head of the nation's largest archdiocese will be deposed Feb. 23 about how he handled a visiting Mexican priest who police believe molested 26 children in the Los Angeles archdiocese during a nine-month stay in 1987. The Rev. Nicolas Aguilar Rivera fled to Mexico in 1988 after parents complained. He has since been defrocked but remains a fugitive, with warrants for his arrest in both the U.S. and Mexico.
Archdiocese attorney Michael Hennigan said Mahony will be questioned Feb. 23, before he heads to Rome to help select the new pope.
Mahony has been deposed in civil clergy abuse lawsuits multiple times over the years. Next week's deposition, however, would be the first since the archdiocese released thousands of pages under court order from the confidential personnel files of more than 120 priests accused of sex abuse.
The files show Mahony and other top archdiocese officials maneuvered behind the scenes to protect pedophile priests in order to save the church from scandal. Mahony has apologized for those actions and contends he turned the archdiocese into a leader for safeguarding children.
Meantime, Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez has sent a letter to all the priests in the archdiocese asking them to pray for Mahony as he prepares to travel to Rome.
He says Mahony's accomplishments and expertise will help in the election of the new pope.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
child abuse, sex crimes, los angeles news
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial 9 min ago
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 21 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 42 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city 27 min ago
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
48 min ago