Los Angeles News
Cardinal Mahony to be deposed in abuse lawsuit
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony, the former Roman Catholic archbishop of Los Angeles, will be deposed in a clergy abuse lawsuit.
The recently retired head of the nation's largest archdiocese will be deposed Feb. 23 about how he handled a visiting Mexican priest who police believe molested 26 children in the Los Angeles archdiocese during a nine-month stay in 1987. The Rev. Nicolas Aguilar Rivera fled to Mexico in 1988 after parents complained. He has since been defrocked but remains a fugitive, with warrants for his arrest in both the U.S. and Mexico.
Archdiocese attorney Michael Hennigan said Mahony will be questioned Feb. 23, before he heads to Rome to help select the new pope.
Mahony has been deposed in civil clergy abuse lawsuits multiple times over the years. Next week's deposition, however, would be the first since the archdiocese released thousands of pages under court order from the confidential personnel files of more than 120 priests accused of sex abuse.
The files show Mahony and other top archdiocese officials maneuvered behind the scenes to protect pedophile priests in order to save the church from scandal. Mahony has apologized for those actions and contends he turned the archdiocese into a leader for safeguarding children.
Meantime, Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez has sent a letter to all the priests in the archdiocese asking them to pray for Mahony as he prepares to travel to Rome.
He says Mahony's accomplishments and expertise will help in the election of the new pope.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
child abuse, sex crimes, los angeles news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments