Los Angeles News
Human bones believed found at Pasadena backyard altar
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is underway after what was believed to be a human skull and other human bones were discovered at a makeshift altar in a Pasadena backyard.
Police were checking out a report of a possible trespasser on the 800 block of North Oakland Avenue Sunday when they spotted the altar. No intruder was found.
The bones were turned over to the coroner's office. Police are calling it a case of suspicious circumstances.
"They'll be examined forensically to determine whether or not the bones are in fact human in nature, then the investigation will determine if the bones were obtained in a legal fashion," said Pasadena Police Lt. Ed Calatayud.
Investigators say the couple that lives in the home practices a West African and Caribbean religion known as Santeria, and they are cooperating. Some burned artifacts, along with animal bones, incense and candles were also found at the altar.
So far, no arrests have been made.
body part found, los angeles news
- 4 hospitalized in Fullerton bar stabbing 4 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: US travel warnings from other countries 16 min ago
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Crime Stoppers director swallows evidence
22 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
19 min ago