Los Angeles News
Santa Monica braces for Expo Line extension
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- Crews are set to begin working on the second phase of the Expo Line extension that will link downtown Los Angeles and Santa Monica by Metro rail.
Colorado Avenue is one of the main eastbound and westbound streets leading to the Santa Monica Pier. By 2015, people will be able to take the Expo Line to the beach. The work is set to begin Tuesday.
Colorado Avenue and Fourth Street is where the Metro line will eventually come to an end.
The eastbound lanes of Colorado Avenue between 4th and 5th streets will be permanently closed starting Tuesday. One lane traveling westbound will remain open.
The Santa Monica Boulevard exit off the 10 Freeway will remain open during the construction period but drivers can expect a lot of delays around Santa Monica Place.
Phase two of the Expo Line is a $1.5 billion project to extend service to the Westside. The train currently connects Culver City to downtown Los Angeles. Phase two will include 6.6. miles of tracks from Culver City to Santa Monica with seven train stations along the route. Parking will also be constructed.
Metro estimates daily ridership between Santa Monica and downtown Los Angeles will be roughly 64,000 passengers by the year 2030.
To avoid delays, drivers are advised to use Broadway or Olympic as alternate routes while construction continues.
santa monica, road closure, road construction, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway 23 min ago
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again 46 min ago
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Fugetsu-Do makes fresh, delicious mochi
58 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
41 min ago
- Ceremony honors LA's unclaimed dead
52 min ago