Los Angeles News
Owner of cat rescued from Glendale fire sought
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A lucky cat came back from the brink of death after being pulled from a burning apartment in Glendale. Firefighters were able to revive her, but now the big question is, where is her owner?
The blaze was contained to one unit at the Fort Dearborn House apartment complex in the 400 block of West Doran Street. Though no humans were hurt, one firefighter made a sad discovery.
"Our firefighter found a lifeless cat in the kitchen," said Capt. Daniel Schaefer of the Glendale Fire Department. "It was essentially dead."
Firefighters credit her rescue with a small piece of equipment they carry in their gear that's specially designed for animals. It's called an animal oxygen mask, and firefighters knew exactly what to do when they saw the motionless cat.
"He brought it out, put it on the gurney, administered our animal oxygen mask, we administered oxygen by nose and mouth and the cat regained consciousness," Schaefer said.
The cat had to spend time in an oxygen chamber at a local pet hospital to help clear out the smoke from her system, but is doing well now.
"This cat is doing wonderfully, especially after a fire," said Steven Richard McNall of the Pasadena Humane Society, where the cat is staying.
Now the Humane Society is waiting for the rightful owner, likely the renter of the burned out apartment, to pick up the black cat that is believed to be 12 years old.
animal news, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Woman tries to reason with London attackers 31 min ago
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Emails show AEG exec called Jackson a 'freak'
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised