Los Angeles News
Long Beach police shoot, kill armed car theft suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Long Beach police say officers shot and killed a car theft suspect when he shot at them following a pursuit.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Thursday after the suspect crashed near a home in the 6400 block of Keynote Street, ending the pursuit.
According to Long Beach police, it all started when California Highway Patrol officers started following a white BMW, which was stolen during an earlier residential burglary in Redondo Beach.
CHP officers lost sight of the car, but Long Beach police spotted it and started chasing the vehicle soon after.
Police say after the driver crashed, he got out and fired a gun at officers. They returned fire, killing the man.
The area surrounding Keynote Street was closed off for police investigation.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, burglary, pursuit, car chase, car crash, los angeles news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 9 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 20 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 16 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 12 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 13 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 32 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks