Los Angeles News
Long Beach police shoot, kill armed car theft suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Long Beach police say officers shot and killed a car theft suspect when he shot at them following a pursuit.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Thursday after the suspect crashed near a home in the 6400 block of Keynote Street, ending the pursuit.
According to Long Beach police, it all started when California Highway Patrol officers started following a white BMW, which was stolen during an earlier residential burglary in Redondo Beach.
CHP officers lost sight of the car, but Long Beach police spotted it and started chasing the vehicle soon after.
Police say after the driver crashed, he got out and fired a gun at officers. They returned fire, killing the man.
The area surrounding Keynote Street was closed off for police investigation.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, burglary, pursuit, car chase, car crash, los angeles news
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten 57 min ago
- UK attack driven by radical Islam - officials
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Man shot to death in Boston bombing probe
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Virgin tops, Spirit flops in airline survey
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- ABC7 relief drive for Okla. tornado victims