Los Angeles News
Long Beach police shoot, kill armed car theft suspect
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Long Beach police say officers shot and killed a car theft suspect when he shot at them following a pursuit.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. Thursday after the suspect crashed near a home in the 6400 block of Keynote Street, ending the pursuit.
According to Long Beach police, it all started when California Highway Patrol officers started following a white BMW, which was stolen during an earlier residential burglary in Redondo Beach.
CHP officers lost sight of the car, but Long Beach police spotted it and started chasing the vehicle soon after.
Police say after the driver crashed, he got out and fired a gun at officers. They returned fire, killing the man.
The area surrounding Keynote Street was closed off for police investigation.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, burglary, pursuit, car chase, car crash, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis