Los Angeles News
Women shot by LAPD during Chris Dorner search still waiting for promised truck
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two women shot by police during the search for Christopher Dorner say they're still waiting for the new truck promised them by LAPD Chief Charlie Beck.
Officers opened fire Feb. 7 on a truck they thought resembled the one used by Dorner.
Emma Hernandez, 71, and her daughter Margie were in the truck delivering newspapers.
They were wounded but are recovering. Their vehicle was damaged by the hail of bullets.
"It's a miracle that they survived, but they don't feel, quote, lucky in the sense that they live every day in fear of the police," said their attorney, Glen Jonas.
Eight officers involved in the shooting are on administrative leave while it's being investigated.
Dorner is an ex-Los Angeles Police Department officer and former Navy reservist who was wanted for killing Cal State Fullerton assistant basketball coach Monica Quan and her fiancé Keith Lawrence. He is also suspected of killing Riverside Police Officer Michael Crain and San Bernardino Detective Jeremiah MacKay.
Dorner was eventually tracked down at an Angelus Oaks cabin, where he fired at officers during a dramatic last stand. MacKay was killed during the shootout, after which the cabin went up in flames.
Charred remains found inside the cabin were positively identified as Dorner.
An autopsy revealed Dorner died from a single gunshot wound to his head, which appeared to be self-inflicted.
shooting, chris dorner, murder, homicide investigation, los angeles news
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 5
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Mom of wandering boys was supervised by CPS
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons