Los Angeles News
Bicyclist in hit-run near Griffith Park left for dead, loses leg
LOS FELIZ, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Damian Kevitt used to be a healthy, avid cyclist. Now, he's in intense care and missing a leg.
Kevitt was the victim of a hit-and-run in which he was struck, dragged and left for dead as he was riding his bike by a freeway onramp near Griffith Park.
"My son went onto the windshield and the hood," said Kevitt's mother, Michele Kevitt Kirkland. "When the guy sped up, he was knocked underneath the van and his body was dragged almost a quarter of a mile onto the freeway.
Kevitt's left leg had to be amputated and his right leg have to be, too. In all, he broke 20 bones. He has undergone several surgeries and will likely need more.
"Thank goodness he was wearing a helmet or he'd be dead today," Kirkland said. "Even with a helmet, he's lucky to be alive."
Physician Dr. Elijah Wasson said he happened to be driving by and saw Kevitt's body on the freeway.
"I would say these are the worst injuries I've ever seen in my professional career," Wasson said. "I've been working in a county hospital for 12 years."
The California Highway Patrol is now looking for a male suspect driving a minivan, possibly a Toyota Sienna, which had a "for sale" sign on it. The CHP said it needs help identifying the driver, possibly a male.
"We want to find this man - I can't call him a man, I can't call him human," Kirkland said. "Please look inside, find what humanity you can and please come forward."
Anyone with information is urged to call the CHP Altadena station at (323) 259-2010.
hit and run, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest 46 min ago
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'