Los Angeles News
Sport Chalet explosion sends 2 employees to hospital
LA CAÑADA FLINTRIDGE, Calif. (KABC) -- Two people were rushed to the hospital following a natural gas explosion at a Sport Chalet in La Canada Flintridge.
The blast was reported just before 10 a.m. Friday. The injured employees were hospitalized with significant burns.
Authorities say employees smelled natural gas and went into an electrical closet to find the source. That's when the blast happened.
Craig Levra, chairman and CEO of Sport Chalet, said in a news conference that the explosion happened in a utility room by the scuba training pool that houses a heater for warming the water.
Investigators say the blast did not start a fire. Damage was minimal and was contained to the area off to the side of the main entrance of the store.
The preliminary investigation indicates the explosion was caused by a gas leak. County arson investigators will make the final determination.
"We've transferred the scene to the sheriff's department so they can conduct their investigation," said Los Angeles County Fire Captain Al Yanagisawa.
Robert Sanchez, an electrician working on the store's lights, discovered the gas leak. He said he immediately smelled natural gas when he went into the electrical closet.
"It was definitely inside there. It was coming out through there. When you opened it up, it was no doubt. It hit you like a wall," said Sanchez. He said he warned the store manager about the gas leak, then returned to work inside the store.
"Not 15 minutes later, that's when the accident occurred," said Sanchez.
The store was closed as fire officials tried to nail down a specific cause behind the explosion. The gas supply to the store was shut off during the investigation. Authorities say the store building suffered only minimal damage and the rest of the shopping center remained open, though a few entrances were blocked off by emergency personnel. The scene was later cleared.
explosion, los angeles county fire department, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 3 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 32 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 39 min ago