Los Angeles News
Poll worker shot in front of Watts school
WATTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A poll worker was shot in front of a school in Watts Tuesday in what police are calling a domestic issue.
Authorities say the shooting happened in front of 92nd Street Elementary School in the 9200 block of Grape Street at 9:39 a.m. It was also just outside a polling location there.
"I heard something, it kind of sounded like firecrackers, but it was a little bit louder," said Jammie Jones of Watts.
LAUSD police say a gunman shot and wounded a poll worker outside the auditorium and fled. The victim went back into the polling place for help. The 35-year-old man was taken to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
A woman was detained by police, but her involvement in the incident was unclear. The school was immediately placed on lockdown. The school lifted the lockdown a short time later, but then restored it out of an abundance of caution.
Dozens of worried parents hurried to the school, thinking the incident may have involved students.
"I was very afraid so I had to run over here and grab my child," said parent Maria Ornelas.
The school and police met parents to reassure them their children were safe and to explain that the shooting had nothing to do with the school. Police say it was a domestic violence incident between the victim and another man, who is not yet in police custody. Their relationship is not clear.
LAPD secured the area, and voting will continue at the location until 8 p.m. The auditorium had served as the polling place, but after the shooting, the city clerk's office brought in a mobile polling place.
It was earlier reported that the school was not on lockdown, but police now say the school was on lockdown.
shooting, south los angeles, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 35 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD 54 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
50 min ago