Los Angeles News
1990 cold-case murder solved by Torrance detective, county sheriff's science investigator
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- A 1990 Los Angeles murder was solved using DNA from a suspect who was killed in a separate crime.
Luis Herrera was strangled in L.A. and his body was dumped in Venice on Sept. 8, 1990. The LAPD recovered DNA evidence from the murder scene but did not find a match. The case was suspended and classified as a "cold case."
A Torrance Police detective reviewing Torrance cases in 2012 involving DNA samples matched Kevin Kemp's DNA to the Herrera murder. Kemp was killed in 1990 when he tried to kidnap a Torrance woman outside her home in the early morning. Kemp placed a canvas strap around the woman's neck. The woman took a handgun from her purse and fatally shot Kemp. He was determined to be the sole assailant and was not convicted since he was deceased. His DNA was not entered into any database, according to Torrance Police.
In April 2012, Detective Sergeant Scott Turrentine was reviewing DNA samples in Torrance cases and suspected Kemp's involvement in other similar crimes. Turrentine worked with criminalist John Bockrath of the L.A. County Sheriff's Scientific Services Bureau. They matched Kemp's DNA to that of the sample taken from the Herrera murder.
homicide investigation, murder, los angeles news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 16 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 attacked by bees in La Cañada Flintridge 22 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 35 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 12 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 16 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks