Los Angeles News
Los Angeles wants to host 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympic Games
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles has officially notified the U.S. Olympic Committee of its interest in hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
In February, the USOC sent a letter to mayors of several large U.S. cities to see if they wanted to be considered as official U.S. candidates to host the 2024 games.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's answer was a resounding, "yes."
"On behalf of the city of Los Angeles, I am pleased to confirm our enthusiastic interest in bidding to host the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games," the mayor wrote in a letter to the USOC. "We are proud of our city's sports heritage and tradition, and we stand ready to work with you to bring the Olympic Games back to the United States."
The Los Angeles City Council passed a resolution to support the 2024 bid last year. A copy of that resolution was attached to the letter to USOC. Also included was a letter of support from the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games with signatures from former Laker Magic Johnson, actor Tom Hanks, Olympic gold medalist Janet Evans, AEG CEO Tim Leiweke, Walt Disney Company Chairman, CEO Robert Iger and others.
Rachel Moore lived in the San Fernando Valley during the 1984 Olympics, and she is hoping that Los Angeles will once again play host to the Olympic Games.
"It was very enjoyable to be here and see it," she said. "I think it's great. We should all want to have this again."
Los Angeles hosted two Summer Olympics in 1932 and 1984. The host for the 2024 Olympics won't be selected until 2017.
los angeles news, robert holguin
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 42 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault 11 min ago
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again
- Aug. trial set for Ohio man in kidnap case
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- Baby bath seats recalled due to drowning fear
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices...
10 min ago