Los Angeles News
Los Angeles wants to host 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympic Games
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles has officially notified the U.S. Olympic Committee of its interest in hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
In February, the USOC sent a letter to mayors of several large U.S. cities to see if they wanted to be considered as official U.S. candidates to host the 2024 games.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's answer was a resounding, "yes."
"On behalf of the city of Los Angeles, I am pleased to confirm our enthusiastic interest in bidding to host the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games," the mayor wrote in a letter to the USOC. "We are proud of our city's sports heritage and tradition, and we stand ready to work with you to bring the Olympic Games back to the United States."
The Los Angeles City Council passed a resolution to support the 2024 bid last year. A copy of that resolution was attached to the letter to USOC. Also included was a letter of support from the Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games with signatures from former Laker Magic Johnson, actor Tom Hanks, Olympic gold medalist Janet Evans, AEG CEO Tim Leiweke, Walt Disney Company Chairman, CEO Robert Iger and others.
Rachel Moore lived in the San Fernando Valley during the 1984 Olympics, and she is hoping that Los Angeles will once again play host to the Olympic Games.
"It was very enjoyable to be here and see it," she said. "I think it's great. We should all want to have this again."
Los Angeles hosted two Summer Olympics in 1932 and 1984. The host for the 2024 Olympics won't be selected until 2017.
los angeles news, robert holguin
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 31 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case 22 min ago
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 27 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Tips on how to avoid Xmas holiday hazards
20 min ago