Los Angeles News
Family mourns death of man in Norwalk hit-run
NORWALK, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a man killed in a hit-and-run crash in Norwalk is searching for answers and a suspect in his death.
Grieving family and friends of Daniel Ortiz gathered by candlelight Saturday night to remember the 20 year old. Ortiz was found lying in the street after being run down in the early hours of Feb. 9 as he crossed Studebaker Road at Foster Road in Norwalk while riding his skateboard. Investigators said he was in the crosswalk at the time.
"It was 4:30 in the morning approximately when this happened, so there probably were not a whole lot of people out at that time," said Sgt. Chris Johnson of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
While investigators have yet to find any witnesses to the fatal crash, debris left behind at the scene indicates the vehicle that hit Ortiz was a 2003 to 2006 dark blue Nissan Titan pickup truck.
"Whoever hit him, he wasn't just anybody. You didn't just hit anybody, you hit somebody and that somebody is my brother," said the victim's sister, Theresa Macias.
Family and friends said Ortiz was a kind and fun-loving guy who loved sports, especially football. He played football from Pop Warner to Norwalk High.
"He was just an outstanding person, he was an all-around good person. Basically he would take his shirt off his back to give it to you," said his brother, Joe Macias.
The family is offering a $5,000 reward to bring his killer to justice.
"We just want justice for my son," the mother said. "Whoever knows anything or the person that did this, the hit-and-run to my son, that they come forward, or that somebody who knows anything to call the Norwalk sheriff's."
Anyone with information was asked to contact the sheriff's Norwalk station at (562-) 863-8711.
hit and run, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'
- How to make delicious tamales for holidays
56 min ago
- Aulani Resort is perfect holiday getaway
47 min ago