Los Angeles News
Downtown LA truck crash kills 1, hurts 6
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A pedestrian was killed and six other people were injured when a pickup truck veered onto a busy downtown Los Angeles sidewalk on Sunday afternoon.
Officials said the 2006 dark-colored Chevrolet Avalanche was traveling southbound on Broadway between 3rd and 4th streets just before 2 p.m. when the driver lost control and jumped onto the sidewalk. The truck hit five pedestrians and continued forward into a building.
"It was a very horrible scene, everyone was crying, everyone was screaming," said Pearl Lira, a witness.
The five pedestrians were all adults ranging in age from 41 to 72. One of them, a 52-year-old Hispanic woman from Los Angeles whose name was withheld, was trapped under the wreckage and died at the scene. The other four were transported to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
According to a witness, the woman who died was at a bus stop with her husband and another victim was in a wheelchair.
The driver, identified as Juan Moreno, and his passenger were also injured and taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.
Police said a preliminary investigation revealed that Moreno had a medical emergency from a pre-existing condition that caused him to lose control of the truck.
"It appears the vehicle was traveling at a lower rate of speed because there's not a lot of substantial amount of damage to the building," said Robert Franco, an assistant chief of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Franco said the building, which houses a restaurant, was deemed safe.
George Rangel said he was selling hot dogs in front of the building and narrowly missed being struck.
"I was sitting down and I just saw the truck right in front of me," Rangel said. "I just saw that it hit like a man and there was a guy with a wheelchair."
Broadway was closed from 3rd to 4th streets for hours as investigators worked at the scene. The truck was removed later at night.
It was previous reported that four pedestrians were struck. It was also previously reported that the truck had two passengers.
downtown, accident, los angeles news, amy powell
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 50 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls 39 min ago
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts