Los Angeles News
LA missionary kidnapped in Mexico is home safe, tells story
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- Tears flowed as Kyle Bauer and his wife Teresa were given a warm welcome home at the Church on the Way in Santa Clarita on Sunday.
Bauer told the congregation he somehow found strength during a frightening ordeal.
"I prayed for the captor and whoever else was working alongside him," he said.
Bauer was kidnapped in Mexico on Thursday and held for about 20 hours.
"They were truly gut-wrenching," he said. "They were terrifying, because I didn't know what was happening with my wife or my children, nor did I know what was going to happen to me."
Bauer, his wife and four children having been living in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for the last seven months, where kyle is a missionary. Members of his church and thousands of people across the country prayed while he was held captive.
Bauer says he passed the long hours preaching the gospel to his captor.
"He said, 'You think God could actually forgive somebody like me?' And I said, 'That's the good thing about God. There is no sinner too great that he cannot forgive," Bauer said.
The 31-year-old minister was finally rescued on Friday after he managed to send out a message.
"I had a moment to myself where I was able to connect to the hotel wifi and I was able to get out a quick e-mail," he said.
"I felt like I was dead, and then when I knew that he was safe and he was in the police department, that I came alive again," said his wife.
Bauer says he was not harmed by his captors. He isn't saying if he plans on returning to Mexico, but he says he still loves the country and the people.
kidnap, mexico, los angeles news, amy powell
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 21 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 50 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)