Los Angeles News
Long Beach suspect search locks down neighborhood
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A neighborhood in Long Beach was on lockdown overnight as police searched for a suspect who opened fire on an officer.
Authorities said it all started around 6:30 p.m. Monday when police responded to a call about suspected gang members in the area of 8th Street and Daisy Avenue.
When officers arrived, the group of suspects ran off. Officers chased one man on foot. At one point, the man turned around and shot at an officer, police said. The officer returned fire, but it's unclear if the suspect was struck. No officers were injured.
The man disappeared into a neighborhood, and police had to evacuate several homes. David Reyes said he waited all night in his car because of the search.
"Some of them chose to just stay out of their homes for the time being. Some of them were taken to a local shelter," said Sgt. Aaron Eaton with the Long Beach Police Department. "We're just trying to make sure that everybody is safe in the neighborhood and try to get this person into custody."
After several hours of searching, police did not find the suspect.The search around 4:30 a.m. Those who were evacuated were allowed to go back home. A portion of 8th Street remained closed for most of the morning.
Police say the gang members may have been in the area for a memorial service for one of their friends who was murdered last week.
officer-involved shooting, long beach, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke