Los Angeles News
Discussion on new LA County jail postponed
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca has been pushing the Board of Supervisors for new facilities since at least November 2011, when he presented a $1.4 billion proposal for construction of a downtown and a women's jail.
On Tuesday, Baca was set to propose a plan for a new $932-million jail facility. However, the board decided to postpone discussion of the county's options once again for at least another 60 days.
The board agreed to hire an independent consultant to analyze the need for new county jails. A consulting firm will conduct its own review of existing facilities, profile the inmate population, project the need for jail beds for at least the next 30 years and look at various funding sources.
Baca's proposal would replace the old Men's Central Jail located in downtown Los Angeles which has been plagued by allegations of abuse against inmates.
A report by the Citizen's Commission on Jail Violence recently blasted the sheriff's department for lack of leadership and its failure to rein in aggressive deputies.
The jail's overcrowding has also become a concern as its had trouble keeping pace with the stream of inmates flooding its facility.
The sheriff's office has also come under fire for its lack of leadership and effort to rehabilitate its inmates back into society.
Baca's proposal aims to solve most of these problems. According to Tuesday meeting's agenda, the new facility will include classrooms for inmates and focus less on enforcement and more on rebuilding human lives.
Baca had planned to request that the Board of Supervisors hire a contractor to prepare a design and an environmental impact review for the new jail.
On Monday, Baca introduced the facility's new assistant sheriff to the public. Terri McDonald, a former undersecretary for California prisons, will now oversea the nation's largest jail.
It's still unclear how the county would fund Baca's nearly $1 billion project.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)