Los Angeles News
Discussion on new LA County jail postponed
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca has been pushing the Board of Supervisors for new facilities since at least November 2011, when he presented a $1.4 billion proposal for construction of a downtown and a women's jail.
On Tuesday, Baca was set to propose a plan for a new $932-million jail facility. However, the board decided to postpone discussion of the county's options once again for at least another 60 days.
The board agreed to hire an independent consultant to analyze the need for new county jails. A consulting firm will conduct its own review of existing facilities, profile the inmate population, project the need for jail beds for at least the next 30 years and look at various funding sources.
Baca's proposal would replace the old Men's Central Jail located in downtown Los Angeles which has been plagued by allegations of abuse against inmates.
A report by the Citizen's Commission on Jail Violence recently blasted the sheriff's department for lack of leadership and its failure to rein in aggressive deputies.
The jail's overcrowding has also become a concern as its had trouble keeping pace with the stream of inmates flooding its facility.
The sheriff's office has also come under fire for its lack of leadership and effort to rehabilitate its inmates back into society.
Baca's proposal aims to solve most of these problems. According to Tuesday meeting's agenda, the new facility will include classrooms for inmates and focus less on enforcement and more on rebuilding human lives.
Baca had planned to request that the Board of Supervisors hire a contractor to prepare a design and an environmental impact review for the new jail.
On Monday, Baca introduced the facility's new assistant sheriff to the public. Terri McDonald, a former undersecretary for California prisons, will now oversea the nation's largest jail.
It's still unclear how the county would fund Baca's nearly $1 billion project.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later 14 min ago
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break