Los Angeles News
$50,000 reward offered to find man's killer
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A $50,000 reward is being offered to track down a man suspected of shooting and killing another man on a South Los Angeles street Feb. 4.
According to police, Ruben Medina was walking down the street near the corner of Hooper Avenue and 25th Street with a bicycle when he was approached by a man. There was a struggle over the bicycle and that's when detectives said the suspect pulled out a gun and shot Medina several times.
Medina collapsed in front of a video store where his family has set up a makeshift memorial in his honor. The family has been grieving ever since.
"It's really hard on us, on our family, on his daughter," said Chris Medina, the victim's brother.
Family members described the victim as a loving man.
"I'm really hurt by this cowardly act because no human should take another person's life," said Samantha Ramirez, Medina's sister.
The Los Angeles City Council hopes the reward will bring police closer to an arrest.
"Detectives have canvassed the area on several occasions and we need the public's help to find the person responsible," said Councilwoman Jan Perry said.
The suspect was described as a Hispanic man in his late 30s, no more than 5-foot-6 with an average build.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) 527-3247.
homicide investigation, lapd, los angeles news, q mccray
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 5 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap 9 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)