Los Angeles News
War/Photography exhibit set to debut in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Annenberg Space for Photography is situated beneath Century City high rises.
The venue is set to open its latest exhibit titled War/Photography: Images of Armed Conflict and Its Aftermath Saturday.
The show is free to the public but some of the images are not suitable for everyone.
The 1945 photo of the flag rising on Iwo Jima was the spark for the show which was organized by The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
The Los Angeles exhibit includes 150 of the images of war, daily routine, fighting, executions, homecoming and much more.
The show also includes a documentary featuring six photographers, including David Hume Kennerly who won a Pulitzer Prize for his photography of the Vietnam War.
"I think the difference between a moving image and the still photo is that the still photography takes a right to your heart and soul," Kennerly said. "Those images stick with you."
Many of the images on display are iconic pictures we've seen before in newspapers, magazines and in books. Yet there is something very different about seeing the photos in person, seeing them as the photographer saw them through the lens.
The Annenberg Space for Photography hopes the exhibit gets people thinking and talking about what they see.
"When you're looking at these images mostly in books, magazines or even on television, there's a certain distance that you feel," Leonard Aube of The Annenberg Foundation said. "But when you're in a space like this it's immediately intimate and it's unvarnished."
The exhibit will be open two months in Los Angeles before moving to Washington, D.C. and New York.
usc, los angeles news, adrienne alpert
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 3 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 42 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
22 min ago