Los Angeles News
Cocaine bust: 70 kilograms found stashed in tractor-trailer in Sylmar
SYLMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- A large amount of cocaine was found stashed away in a hidden compartment in a tractor-trailer truck during a drug bust in Sylmar.
A narcotics investigation led officers to a truck yard in the 12000 block of Lopez Road near Lopez Canyon around 11 p.m. Thursday. That's where authorities found cocaine tucked away in a secret compartment inside a trailer. Two men, believed to be Mexican nationals, were arrested in connection with the drug bust, but no names were released.
Officials say the hiding place was reinforced with steel plates, so investigators had to use blow torches and other tools to get to the drugs.
"Gaining access has been quite a challenge because there's a void in the sub-frame of the trailer, where they've welded sheet steel and really bolted, locked closed access to make it difficult for us to enter," described Capt. Richard Garcia with the L.A. County Fire Department.
A total of 70 kilograms of cocaine was found, according to Lt. Carlos Mendoza with L.A. Impact, an interagency task force dealing with narcotics. This task force has been working this case for more than a year.
Mendoza estimated the street value of the cocaine to be around $2 million or as much as $7 million if broken down. He said the investigation is ongoing, and the next steps will be to track down where the truck came from and who it belongs to.
Investigators say this is all part of a sophisticated drug ring with international ties, with this particular shipment likely coming from Mexico.
san fernando valley, arrest, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology 59 min ago
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut