Los Angeles News
Cocaine bust: 70 kilograms found stashed in tractor-trailer in Sylmar
SYLMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- A large amount of cocaine was found stashed away in a hidden compartment in a tractor-trailer truck during a drug bust in Sylmar.
A narcotics investigation led officers to a truck yard in the 12000 block of Lopez Road near Lopez Canyon around 11 p.m. Thursday. That's where authorities found cocaine tucked away in a secret compartment inside a trailer. Two men, believed to be Mexican nationals, were arrested in connection with the drug bust, but no names were released.
Officials say the hiding place was reinforced with steel plates, so investigators had to use blow torches and other tools to get to the drugs.
"Gaining access has been quite a challenge because there's a void in the sub-frame of the trailer, where they've welded sheet steel and really bolted, locked closed access to make it difficult for us to enter," described Capt. Richard Garcia with the L.A. County Fire Department.
A total of 70 kilograms of cocaine was found, according to Lt. Carlos Mendoza with L.A. Impact, an interagency task force dealing with narcotics. This task force has been working this case for more than a year.
Mendoza estimated the street value of the cocaine to be around $2 million or as much as $7 million if broken down. He said the investigation is ongoing, and the next steps will be to track down where the truck came from and who it belongs to.
Investigators say this is all part of a sophisticated drug ring with international ties, with this particular shipment likely coming from Mexico.
san fernando valley, arrest, los angeles news, darsha philips
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- Man burns to death, may have been stealing gas
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- SD man charged in 'revenge porn' site case 40 min ago
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- Missing Nevada couple, 4 children found safe
- abcnews: Alleged cow abuse at DiGiorno supplier
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- Gabor Xmas party to go on amid spending fight
- OTRC: Kate Winslet, Ned RocknRoll welcome baby
- Nativity scene stolen from Temecula yard
27 min ago