Los Angeles News
Girl, 17, dies in fall from Eaton Canyon waterfall trail
ALTADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 17-year-old female hiker died and an 18-year-old male hiker was hospitalized Friday after falling 200 feet from a trail near a waterfall in Eaton Canyon, located north of Pasadena and near Altadena.
Firefighters were called to Eaton Canyon around 11:30 a.m. A group of four hikers had somehow reached the upper falls of the canyon, and the 17-year-old girl and 18-year-old male slipped and fell.
The girl was pronounced dead at the scene, while the 18 year old was airlifted to Huntington Memorial Hospital with critical but non life-threatening injuries. The other two hikers were airlifted down off of the waterfall trail.
"They had fallen down near the trail, they were on the westside of the trail, but they were maybe 30 feet off of the trail, but they were 200 feet above that," said Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Raymon Mitchison.
The main trail in that part of the canyon leads to a waterfall, but a second waterfall is located above the first and is accessible through what is known as an unofficial trail. There are signs posted along the trail warning hikers that they should proceed at their own risk if attempting to reach the perilous upper falls. Numerous fatalities have occurred on that part of the trail.
"First it's a family-friendly trail, but then there's a ridge that people like to climb up, and it's really steep and really loose ground, and pretty much anything that you touch can fall out," said hiker Jesse Adamczyk.
Officials say they do not know for sure how the four hikers reached the upper waterfall.
los angeles news, leanne suter
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film 35 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in...
59 min ago