Los Angeles News
Volunteers rally in search of hit-run driver who severely injured bicyclist
LOS FELIZ, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Volunteers planned to come together Sunday to track down a hit-and-run driver who seriously injured a bicyclist near the Los Angeles Zoo.
The group was set to distribute fliers informing the public of a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.
On Feb. 17, Damian Kevitt, 36, and his wife were riding their bicycles to the zoo around 11:35 a.m. when a minivan struck Kevitt and dragged him 600 feet down an onramp to the 5 Freeway. The driver kept going.
Kevitt had a helmet on, but the collision broke 20 bones and crushed his right leg. Doctors had to amputate below the knee. His left foot is missing tissue and skin and may also need to be amputated. The road rash was so severe, it was down to the bone on Kevitt's left elbow, and his buttocks will need skin grafts.
"We know someone out there knows who this guy is," said Justin Hager, Kevitt's friend. "Please come forward for Damian's sake and for Damian's mother's sake and for our community's sake. We just really need this information."
Kevitt said he will heal, but he wants the driver to surrender to police.
"Unless he comes forward or proper justice is done, he'll never be able to walk away from it," said Kevitt in an interview with Eyewitness News.
The California Highway Patrol is searching for a male suspect driving a light-colored minivan, possibly a Toyota Sienna, that had a "for sale" sign on it at the time.
"We have some information that the driver of the vehicle may have been a Spanish speaker," CHP Lt. David Moeller said.
Moeller said the suspect appeared to be in his 20s and may have been playing soccer at a nearby park before the crash.
Anyone with information related to the case was asked to call the CHP at (800) 835-5247.
hit and run, community activity, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital 53 min ago
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 20 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'