Los Angeles News
Cyclist hit, killed by school bus in Palmdale
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- An 18-year-old riding his bike to soccer practice was struck and killed by a school bus in Palmdale on Monday afternoon.
Michael Valenzuela was rushed to the hospital, but he didn't survive. Investigators say the bus carrying more than 40 students from Los Amigos School was westbound on Avenue R as Valenzuela crossed from 55th Street East.
"We have a bicyclist who had just left his first day of work and was coming to the park that's adjacent to this intersection here to play soccer with friends. Unfortunately, he crossed in the path of a school bus," said Sgt. Tom Lackey with the California Highway Patrol.
Residents say they have asked the city repeatedly for a light at the intersection since so many kids use the park's soccer fields.
"This is not the first time this has happened. This has happened several times because there's no stop lights," said Palmdale resident Eddie De Leon.
For Valenzuela, the park was his home away from home. His passion was soccer. His dream was to play professionally one day.
His friends and family are struggling to comprehend the tragedy.
"He was a really good person, so it's hard to believe he's gone," said friend Diana Perez.
accident, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 45 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon 55 min ago
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 3 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 15 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...