Los Angeles News
Cyclist hit, killed by school bus in Palmdale
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- An 18-year-old riding his bike to soccer practice was struck and killed by a school bus in Palmdale on Monday afternoon.
Michael Valenzuela was rushed to the hospital, but he didn't survive. Investigators say the bus carrying more than 40 students from Los Amigos School was westbound on Avenue R as Valenzuela crossed from 55th Street East.
"We have a bicyclist who had just left his first day of work and was coming to the park that's adjacent to this intersection here to play soccer with friends. Unfortunately, he crossed in the path of a school bus," said Sgt. Tom Lackey with the California Highway Patrol.
Residents say they have asked the city repeatedly for a light at the intersection since so many kids use the park's soccer fields.
"This is not the first time this has happened. This has happened several times because there's no stop lights," said Palmdale resident Eddie De Leon.
For Valenzuela, the park was his home away from home. His passion was soccer. His dream was to play professionally one day.
His friends and family are struggling to comprehend the tragedy.
"He was a really good person, so it's hard to believe he's gone," said friend Diana Perez.
accident, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 13 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
11 min ago