Los Angeles News
Arrest in series of attempted kidnappings in San Fernando Valley
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Detectives have arrested a suspect believed to be behind a series of attempted kidnappings in the San Fernando Valley and other communities throughout Los Angeles.
The LAPD identified the suspect as 37-year-old Jason Kies of La Crescenta.
Authorities say last Friday, the suspect attempted to kidnap two women in the North Hollywood area. The first incident was on Ben Avenue between Hesby Street and Addison Street. The suspect grabbed the woman as she got out of her vehicle on a residential street and tried to force her into his vehicle at about 6 a.m.
At about noon the same day, the suspect allegedly tried to steal property at a Marshall's department store on Ventura Boulevard near Vineland Avenue. Police say he fought with a security guard, then fled without taking anything. About an hour later, the suspect followed another woman who was jogging in the area of Tujunga Avenue and Sarah Street. Police say he assaulted the woman and attempted to force her into his vehicle.
After further investigation, detectives identified Kies as the potential suspect and had him under surveillance. Police say Kies was observed following a female jogger in La Crescenta. Officers moved in and took him into custody without further incident.
Detectives are looking for any other potential victims or witnesses. Police say Kies drove a gray GMC SUV during the attacks. He was also seen wearing sunglasses, a black RVCA baseball cap, black shoes, gray shorts and a gray shirt.
Anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD at (877) LAPD-24-7.
arrest, kidnap, lapd, los angeles news
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Blind, autistic piano prodigy inspires others 29 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child 19 min ago
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son