Los Angeles News
Arrest in series of attempted kidnappings in San Fernando Valley
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Detectives have arrested a suspect believed to be behind a series of attempted kidnappings in the San Fernando Valley and other communities throughout Los Angeles.
The LAPD identified the suspect as 37-year-old Jason Kies of La Crescenta.
Authorities say last Friday, the suspect attempted to kidnap two women in the North Hollywood area. The first incident was on Ben Avenue between Hesby Street and Addison Street. The suspect grabbed the woman as she got out of her vehicle on a residential street and tried to force her into his vehicle at about 6 a.m.
At about noon the same day, the suspect allegedly tried to steal property at a Marshall's department store on Ventura Boulevard near Vineland Avenue. Police say he fought with a security guard, then fled without taking anything. About an hour later, the suspect followed another woman who was jogging in the area of Tujunga Avenue and Sarah Street. Police say he assaulted the woman and attempted to force her into his vehicle.
After further investigation, detectives identified Kies as the potential suspect and had him under surveillance. Police say Kies was observed following a female jogger in La Crescenta. Officers moved in and took him into custody without further incident.
Detectives are looking for any other potential victims or witnesses. Police say Kies drove a gray GMC SUV during the attacks. He was also seen wearing sunglasses, a black RVCA baseball cap, black shoes, gray shorts and a gray shirt.
Anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD at (877) LAPD-24-7.
arrest, kidnap, lapd, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 18 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
6 min ago