Los Angeles News
Los Feliz Boulevard project to cause delays
LOS FELIZ, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Feliz Boulevard is a busy east-west thoroughfare. During rush hour, it can be a crawl in both directions even on a normal day.
"It's terrible" Gina Mazon of Los Feliz said. "People take shortcuts and take other drives to make it easier."
Drivers in the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles could start seeing delays Tuesday. Crews are set to start replacing the underground power infrastructure on Los Feliz Boulevard as part of the L.A. Department of Water and Power Reliability Improvement construction project.
The first phase will reduce westbound traffic to one lane on Hillhurst Avenue. The only left turn drivers will be allowed to make at the intersection is from westbound Los Feliz Boulevard southbound onto Hillhurst Avenue. The work should alleviate future power outages.
"We're introducing a brand new circuit that will drop the load and will provide energy for the next 10 to 15 years," Duke Thomson of the Los Angeles Department of Power and Water said.
The construction will be done during the day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. when traffic is most congested. The project will cover several blocks of Los Feliz and will be done in three phases.
"I personally, as a councilman, will accept all the congestion I could get as long as I get a new infrastructure," L.A. City Councilman Tom LaBonge said. "That's guaranteed."
LaBonge says the project is necessary. He urges drivers to take alternate routes. The entire project is expected to be completed sometime in the fall.
road closure, los feliz, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 4 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting 26 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 20 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre