Los Angeles News
LA football stadium: City leaders consider options if plan falls through
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Recent developments have left everyone from football fans to city leaders wondering if Los Angeles will ever get a new NFL football stadium.
While there's still an agreement in place between the city and Anschutz Entertainment Group to build a privately funded $1.2 billion football stadium in downtown, City Councilwoman Jan Perry says the city needs to look at a plan B, C, and D if the stadium project falls through.
The stadium will be built only if an NFL team agrees to move to Los Angeles.
"Our conversation about what to do about the West Hall should not be construed as anything other than creating additional options and what potential that site has," said Perry.
In recent weeks, AEG was put up for sale and then taken off the market. There's also been a shake-up in its management.
Lakers legend and businessman Earvin "Magic" Johnson said he's still hopeful Farmers Field will be built.
"If it's a no-go with Farmers, let's sit down with City Hall and let's go for a viable second option and I think that we -- myself and other leaders -- would be happy to see what that is," said Johnson.
Some football fans said they're hoping the city and AEG build the stadium and bring the NFL back to Los Angeles.
"We need a stadium here, we need football back," said Phil Markes of Los Angeles. "It was 1995 when I was at the Orange County stadium. I'm a big Rams fan. Bring back the Rams."
Carlotta Baker, an events planner, tells me what she thinks should happen if a stadium isn't built.
"More parking, they could do more food areas, restaurants, make it very similar to L.A. LIVE," Baker said.
downtown, nfl, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments