Los Angeles News
LA football stadium: City leaders consider options if plan falls through
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Recent developments have left everyone from football fans to city leaders wondering if Los Angeles will ever get a new NFL football stadium.
While there's still an agreement in place between the city and Anschutz Entertainment Group to build a privately funded $1.2 billion football stadium in downtown, City Councilwoman Jan Perry says the city needs to look at a plan B, C, and D if the stadium project falls through.
The stadium will be built only if an NFL team agrees to move to Los Angeles.
"Our conversation about what to do about the West Hall should not be construed as anything other than creating additional options and what potential that site has," said Perry.
In recent weeks, AEG was put up for sale and then taken off the market. There's also been a shake-up in its management.
Lakers legend and businessman Earvin "Magic" Johnson said he's still hopeful Farmers Field will be built.
"If it's a no-go with Farmers, let's sit down with City Hall and let's go for a viable second option and I think that we -- myself and other leaders -- would be happy to see what that is," said Johnson.
Some football fans said they're hoping the city and AEG build the stadium and bring the NFL back to Los Angeles.
"We need a stadium here, we need football back," said Phil Markes of Los Angeles. "It was 1995 when I was at the Orange County stadium. I'm a big Rams fan. Bring back the Rams."
Carlotta Baker, an events planner, tells me what she thinks should happen if a stadium isn't built.
"More parking, they could do more food areas, restaurants, make it very similar to L.A. LIVE," Baker said.
downtown, nfl, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 26 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 37 min ago
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 7 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 44 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter