Los Angeles News
Valley Village hit-and-run: Bicyclist's family pleads for help finding driver
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A grieving family is pleading with the public to help find the driver who killed an 18-year-old bicyclist in Valley Village.
David Granados was about to graduate high school. He was struck by an SUV Sunday at the intersection of Oxnard Street and Bellaire Avenue. Granados was rushed to a local hospital, but he was taken off life support on Tuesday.
The driver of the gray or black older model Mercedes SUV that hit him never stopped and never looked back.
"(Granados) looks both ways, and once he gets halfway out of the sidewalk, this SUV ... comes out of nowhere, runs the red light going 50-60 mph, hits him, doesn't even hesitate to touch the brakes," said witness Robert Eckerson.
Ted Rogers, author of "Biking in LA," says about 25 to 30 percent of all fatal accidents involving bicyclists are hit-and-runs.
Rogers blogs about cycling in Southern California. He and others in the community have been pushing to bring in more bike lanes and to increase penalties for hit-and-runs.
"Generally, people flee the scene because they've been drinking, or else they don't have a license and insurance. Those are the two main reasons," Rogers said. "It's not an excuse to let someone die."
The family is asking the person who cut short Granados' life to come forward.
"No matter what, if he goes to jail or whatever, he can't bring him back. He's gone," said the victim's father David Granados, adding that he would like an apology from the driver. "Not just to us, to all the friends, family. That's not too much to ask, right?"
The only suspect description was an older man. Anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD Valley Traffic Division at (818) 644-8063.
hit and run, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam 41 min ago
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling 12 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
18 min ago