Los Angeles News
1500 Critical Mass bicyclists take to streets for recovering cyclist Damian Kevitt
BOYLE HEIGHTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Bike riders from Los Angeles Critical Mass turned out by the hundreds Friday to show support for a fellow cyclist fighting to recover from a devastating hit and run.
"This was in tribute to Damian, we want to come out here and just really support him, show him we're there for him and hopefully bring a smile to his face," said Conrad Culling, a Critical Mass rider.
Damian Kevitt was riding his bike to the L.A. Zoo last month when a minivan hit the 36-year-old, dragging him 600 feet and then kept going.
Critically injured, Kevitt's right leg had to be partially amputated. He underwent his ninth surgery Friday, in an attempt to save his left foot.
As the 1500 riders rolled by County-USC where Kevitt remains hospitalized, they're calling for more awareness of the rules of the road and stricter enforcement, especially in a town they say is known as the hit-and-run capital of the U.S.
Kevitt's mother says the massive ride is a major boost to her son.
"It helps his healing to know that these people care," said Michele Kevitt Kirkland. "It helps his healing to know that people are out having a good time riding their bicycles, that's very uplifting because he loves cycling and he intends to get back on his bicycle."
As he fights to recover, another family is mourning. The hunt is now on for the hit and run driver who killed 18-year-old David Granados.
Kevitt's mother and the Granados family are determined to the hit-and-run drivers. In Kevitt's case, a $25,000 reward is being offered. Anyone with information is urged to call the CHP.
hit and run, community activity, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- 4 stabbed in parking lot after Broncos game
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son