Los Angeles News
Lancaster house party shooting: Teen killed
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A confrontation at a house party in Lancaster took a lethal turn when a teenager was shot and killed.
The incident occurred at about 1 a.m. Saturday at a home in the 700 block of East Avenue K. Investigators say the party was posted on Facebook and other social media outlets, and it had grown extremely large.
Authorities say there was some sort of confrontation in the back yard of the home. That's when someone pulled out a handgun and opened fire. The teen was shot. Neighbors say they heard two gunshots.
The victim was identified as Kevin Tatum, 17, of Compton. Family members say the high school junior was not a gang member. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Khadijiah Blood, a friend of the teen, said she just saw the victim on Friday, making the incident all the more disturbing.
"He was a nice person, you know. He used to get along with everybody. He was a good person. He was just caught up at the wrong place," said Nyke Johnson, the victim's cousin.
Investigators say they do not have any suspect information, as they're still trying to track down as many witnesses as possible. Authorities say when the gunfire erupted, many of the partygoers took off running.
If you have any information about this case, you're urged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
antelope valley, shooting, los angeles news
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious 1 min ago
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal 49 min ago
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days 31 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video)
- Pet of the Week: 6-yr-old terrier mix Tillie
18 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
58 min ago