Los Angeles News
Lancaster house party shooting: Teen killed
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A confrontation at a house party in Lancaster took a lethal turn when a teenager was shot and killed.
The incident occurred at about 1 a.m. Saturday at a home in the 700 block of East Avenue K. Investigators say the party was posted on Facebook and other social media outlets, and it had grown extremely large.
Authorities say there was some sort of confrontation in the back yard of the home. That's when someone pulled out a handgun and opened fire. The teen was shot. Neighbors say they heard two gunshots.
The victim was identified as Kevin Tatum, 17, of Compton. Family members say the high school junior was not a gang member. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Khadijiah Blood, a friend of the teen, said she just saw the victim on Friday, making the incident all the more disturbing.
"He was a nice person, you know. He used to get along with everybody. He was a good person. He was just caught up at the wrong place," said Nyke Johnson, the victim's cousin.
Investigators say they do not have any suspect information, as they're still trying to track down as many witnesses as possible. Authorities say when the gunfire erupted, many of the partygoers took off running.
If you have any information about this case, you're urged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
antelope valley, shooting, los angeles news
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 2 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors