Los Angeles News
LA jail brawl: Fight erupts at Twin Towers jail; 62 involved
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A fight erupted at Twin Towers Correctional Facility in downtown Los Angeles, sending four inmates to the hospital.
The brawl involving 62 inmates broke out at 12:10 p.m. Tuesday on the third floor of Tower One in a recreational area, according to L.A. County Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore.
"It took our deputies about 90 seconds to stop this dust-up. It was along racial lines, Hispanic and African-American. We do not know what prompted it," said Whitmore.
Whitmore said deputies used "sting-balls" and "clear-out" gas to end the altercation.
Four inmates were taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries. Other inmates were treated at Twin Towers, Whitmore said.
No deputies were injured.
There were more than 4,000 inmates in the jail Tuesday. The incident was considered relatively minor.
fight, downtown, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial 48 min ago
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 4 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 25 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city 10 min ago
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
31 min ago