Los Angeles News
Northridge kidnapping case: 2 men charged
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two men were charged Wednesday in the case of a 10-year-old girl who was kidnapped from her Northridge home in the middle of the night and then sexually assaulted.
Fugitive Tobias Summers, 30, was charged with 37 felonies, including nearly three dozen counts of sexual assault. He also faces kidnapping and burglary charges along with suspected accomplice Daniel Martinez.
If convicted, Summers, a parolee with a criminal record dating back to 2002, could face multiple life terms in prison.
Authorities said they believe 29-year-old Martinez was waiting in a car outside the girl's home while Summers kidnapped the girl. Martinez allegedly then drove a short distance with Summers and the girl, then left and was not further involved.
Martinez, who according to court records has been convicted of burglary and grand theft, was arrested Sunday in Northridge and appeared in court Wednesday afternoon. Martinez pleaded not guilty. He could face up to 12 years in prison if convicted.
Police are searching for Summers and said he was recently spotted in the San Diego area, but may have fled to Mexico. Summers may have changed his appearance, possibly by shaving his head. Police said some of his previous crimes include robbery, grand theft auto, possession of explosives and kidnapping.
Investigators said the girl was abducted at knifepoint sometime between 1 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. March 27. Investigators determined that she was taken to a home on the west side of the San Fernando Valley. She was found later in the day around 2:45 p.m. wandering six miles from her home near a Starbucks. She was barefoot, had bruises and scratches, and wasn't wearing the same clothes she had on when she vanished.
Authorities urge anyone with information on the suspect or the case to call the LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division tip line at (213) 486-6890 or Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
missing person, lapd, kidnap, los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 18 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book