Los Angeles News
UCLA water polo player accused of rape
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A player on the UCLA water polo team was arrested on suspicion of raping a female acquaintance in a campus residence hall.
Hakop Kaplanyan, 18, was taken into custody after the alleged victim, who is also a UCLA student, reported the assault to campus police Tuesday morning.
Kaplanyan posted bail Wednesday morning. He was on suspension from UCLA pending an appeal. He is set to appear at the Airport Courthouse in Del Aire on April 25.
Kaplanyan's attorney told Eyewitness News that Kaplanyan was dating the girl and that the two had consensual sex. The attorney described the allegations as a "defamation" case and said that the investigation is incomplete.
On the UCLA athletics website, Kaplanyan is listed as a 6-foot-2, 205 pound red-shirt freshman who plays attacker on the water polo team, which is consistently ranked one of the top water polo programs in the nation.
While at Hoover High School, the website say Kaplanyan was twice named league MVP and set a CIF scoring record in 2009.
On Saturday, Kaplanyan tweeted, "These couple of days were like a dream."
ucla bruins, arrest, sex crimes, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills 2 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA hospital
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 42 min ago
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
53 min ago