Los Angeles News
UCLA water polo player accused of rape
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A player on the UCLA water polo team was arrested on suspicion of raping a female acquaintance in a campus residence hall.
Hakop Kaplanyan, 18, was taken into custody after the alleged victim, who is also a UCLA student, reported the assault to campus police Tuesday morning.
Kaplanyan posted bail Wednesday morning. He was on suspension from UCLA pending an appeal. He is set to appear at the Airport Courthouse in Del Aire on April 25.
Kaplanyan's attorney told Eyewitness News that Kaplanyan was dating the girl and that the two had consensual sex. The attorney described the allegations as a "defamation" case and said that the investigation is incomplete.
On the UCLA athletics website, Kaplanyan is listed as a 6-foot-2, 205 pound red-shirt freshman who plays attacker on the water polo team, which is consistently ranked one of the top water polo programs in the nation.
While at Hoover High School, the website say Kaplanyan was twice named league MVP and set a CIF scoring record in 2009.
On Saturday, Kaplanyan tweeted, "These couple of days were like a dream."
ucla bruins, arrest, sex crimes, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)