Los Angeles News
Rockefeller impostor found guilty of murder
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The man who tried to pass himself off as a member of the Rockefeller family was found guilty on Wednesday in the 1985 murder of John Sohus in San Marino.
Christian Gerhartsreiter entered the courtroom wearing a slight smile, but all that changed, once the jury's decision was read.
The jury deliberated for less than eights hours before returning to convict Gerhartsreiter for first-degree murder using both blunt and sharp objects as weapons.
"We are extremely pleased that the jury was able to resolve this case and bring closure to what has been a very, very long, long time coming," said Assistant District Attorney Habib Balian.
Prosecutors depicted Gerhartsreiter as a lying, scheming con-man who bludgeoned and stabbed his landlady's son, John Sohus, in San Marino 28 years ago. Ellen Sohus said her brother's unsolved murder took a heavy toll on her family.
"My first thought was, 'It's finally over.' And I was moved to tears. It's finally over," she said.
Prosecutors never offered a motive for the killing, but Ellen Sohus thinks her brother probably confronted Gerhartsreiter, the German immigrant who had been renting a guesthouse on the property.
"If there was something that he felt he needed to protect his mother from, he would have confronted someone," Ellen Sohus said.
John and Linda Sohus vanished in February 1985. Nine years later, workers building a swimming pool found the remains of John Sohus buried in his own backyard. Linda Sohus has never resurfaced, and defense attorneys argued that she was the real killer. Jurors did not agree.
"The evidence, it just didn't seem logical, it didn't seem right," one juror said.
Gerhartsreiter's defense team says they will appeal the verdict. He faces 27 years to life in prison when he is sentenced on June 26.
fraud, court case, murder, los angeles news, robert holguin
- DTLA police search: armed, dangerous suspect 44 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 56 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 15 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution 36 min ago
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015 2 min ago
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts 1 min ago