Los Angeles News
4 Santa Clarita Valley schools burglarized
SANTA CLARITA VALLEY, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives are searching for two male suspects who recently stole tens of thousands of dollars in items from four Santa Clarita Valley schools.
The suspects were captured by surveillance cameras at Hart High School. Investigators said both suspects were seen wearing dark, baggy clothing and beanies. They may also be responsible for burglaries at Sierra Vista Junior High School, Old Orchard Elementary School and Newhall Elementary School. In two of the surveillance photos, the suspects have similar descriptions.
Detectives said the burglaries happened last week while students were out of school for spring break. The suspects also ransacked offices and classrooms.
"Each of these burglary incidents occurred in the nighttime hours," said sheriff's Dep. Josh Dublin. "Forced entry was made into each of the schools. Besides the office and other parts of the school being ransacked, items were stolen. Some of the items that were stolen were laptop computers, televisions, cellphones, cash, resulting in tens of thousands of dollars in loss."
School officials said the effects of the burglaries run deeper than money.
"There are two costs here that we're talking about. One is the monetary cost for replacement, repair of trashed offices. For no reason they were trashed. But the other is the psychological cost of security and safety for our staff and our kids. Sometimes that just feels worse than the money," said Marc Winger, the superintendent of the Newhall School District.
Anyone with information on the burglaries was asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
burglary, caught on tape, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- Mega Millions jackpot may exceed $400 million
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- San Diego cross memorial removal ordered 34 min ago
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Pasadena teen gets new family for holidays
2 min ago