Los Angeles News
Los Angeles declares April 10 Dr. George Day
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was sunny and warm in Los Angeles on Wednesday - perfect weather conditions for honoring beloved weatherman Dr. George Fischbeck, who brought us the forecast for nearly 20 years before retiring from ABC7.
Los Angeles City Councilman Tom LaBonge declared April 10 Dr. George Day in the city of Los Angeles.
For many Angelenos, 90-year-old Dr. George is someone who was more than just the weatherman at ABC7. He taught us about jet streams, high and low pressures and millibars.
When he was giving us his forecast for the highs and lows for the next day, he'd also remind us to be good citizens and take care of each other.
Dr. George's work with the Boy Scouts was the reason why I became a scout. Growing up in Southern California, Dr. George was like family. He was ABC7's weatherman in the 70s and 80s.
"It's a good family to have, one you can be proud of," he said. "This is a good family. I'm glad that I'm in your family, and you're in my family. That's the way it should be."
Dr. George would collect toys for the children at Porterville State Hospital.
Dr. George and Meteorologist Dallas Raines are good friends with a mutual admiration for one another, including when it comes to hair.
"Do you know you have good hair? Your hair is as good as my hair," Raines said to Dr. George on Wednesday. "That hair looks good."
"Look at that man. Now that's a head of hair," Dr. George replied.
You can learn more about Dr. George in his new book, "My Life in Weather," which is due out May 1.
downtown, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 15 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 3 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 19 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video