Los Angeles News
Man lit on fire by panhandler outside Long Beach convenience store: Long Beach Police
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was lit on fire by a panhandler outside a convenience store in Long Beach Friday afternoon.
The victim was entering a 7-Eleven store on the 5100 block of Pacific Coast Highway in Long Beach at about 5:15 p.m. when he was approached by a transient asking for money. The victim said no.
As the 63-year-old victim came out of the store and entered his vehicle, the 37-year-old transient reportedly doused the victim and the inside of his vehicle with a flammable substance and lit it on fire.
The victim was hospitalized in critical condition with third-degree burns. The transient was arrested. He was expected to be charged with arson and attempted murder.
Police say the two men did not know each other.
arrest, arson, long beach, los angeles news, q mccray
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 22 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 5 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 22 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'