Los Angeles News
Hostage situation at El Segundo Popcornopolis: Suspect arrested
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (KABC) -- An employee of El Segundo Popcornopolis was taken into custody after holding the business' CFO hostage Tuesday.
Authorities say the woman, armed with a handgun, walked into El Segundo Popcornopolis in the 1300 block of East El Segundo Boulevard just after 8 a.m. and ordered the company's chief financial officer into his office.
El Segundo Police Lt. Raymond Garcia said some people fled from the building, while others hid in the back.
"I can only imagine she was disgruntled. I don't know what drove her to this area and why she did what she did," Garcia said.
The suspect, identified as 22-year-old Leonora Banuelos, held the male CFO of the gourmet popcorn company hostage until about 11:20 a.m., when the hostage was released. About 15 minutes later, Banuelos walked out of the building and surrendered to authorities.
Police searched the building to make sure no one else was inside. A semiautomatic handgun was recovered at the scene.
Despite the ordeal, the CFO is reportedly is good spirits. Banuelos is being held on $100,000 bail.
standoff, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 40 min ago
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)