Los Angeles News
Torrance businessman hurt in Boston bombings
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- Doug Nicol was shocked when he found out that his brother-in-law, John Odom, was injured when bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon on Monday.
Odom was there watching his daughter run the marathon. The Torrance businessman was standing near the finish line with other family members cheering her on when he was injured.
"I just cannot believe why it was him of all people," Nicol said. "They were five feet away from him and he got hit and they didn't."
Odom sustained severe leg injuries and nearly died during surgery. He remains hospitalized in critical condition.
"He's had three surgeries, he's not out of the woods by any means," Nicol said. "His legs are really damaged. They're bad."
Odom runs a successful mechanical plumbing company. Nicol, who works there, said his brother-in-law is a kind, generous man.
"John thinks more about us than he does himself," Nicol said. "He lives way below his means, he always has. He's the hardest working person that I've ever met."
Nicol had just received an invitation to Odom's retirement party in May.
"He's worked his butt off for 50 years and he was going to finally kick back and golf and spend time with his grandchildren and that rug got pulled out from under him. It's terrible," Nicol said.
Nicol said Odom is facing a long recovery.
His wife is a well-known real estate broker in the South Bay, and neighbors say the Odoms were a charitable and warm family. According to family members, John Odom's daughter Nicole was running in the Boston Marathon to raise money for a charity.
explosion, boston marathon bombing, los angeles news, amy powell
- Brush fire burning near Gorman 3 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Photos: 'Modern Family' home selling for $2.35M
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)