Los Angeles News
North Hollywood apartment fire: 1 dead, 4 hurt
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man has died after a fire erupted at an apartment complex in North Hollywood. Arson investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire.
"It was scary, really scary, 'cause you know, there was a lot of people in there, and people with disabilities," said Karina Gomez.
Gomez says she was across the street at her home when she saw smoke coming out of the second-story apartment at Riverton Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard at about 10:15 a.m. After calling 911, she immediately went across the street to help residents get out -- or in some cases, jump out of the building.
"There were some ladies trying to jump through the balcony, and I kind of saved them because I was catching them from upstairs, and that's when explosions started, and I started screaming to everybody, 'Get out,'" she said.
According to Los Angeles City Fire, five units in the 24-unit apartment complex were damaged. When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of one of the units.
Four people were treated for injuries, and one of those people remains hospitalized in stable condition.
The Red Cross is helping about 50 residents who were displaced.
north hollywood, fire, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 18 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire 38 min ago
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster 31 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 41 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg 46 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break
- Highway dedicated to detective Jeremiah...
37 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
9 min ago