Los Angeles News
North Hollywood apartment fire: 1 dead, 4 hurt
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man has died after a fire erupted at an apartment complex in North Hollywood. Arson investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire.
"It was scary, really scary, 'cause you know, there was a lot of people in there, and people with disabilities," said Karina Gomez.
Gomez says she was across the street at her home when she saw smoke coming out of the second-story apartment at Riverton Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard at about 10:15 a.m. After calling 911, she immediately went across the street to help residents get out -- or in some cases, jump out of the building.
"There were some ladies trying to jump through the balcony, and I kind of saved them because I was catching them from upstairs, and that's when explosions started, and I started screaming to everybody, 'Get out,'" she said.
According to Los Angeles City Fire, five units in the 24-unit apartment complex were damaged. When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of one of the units.
Four people were treated for injuries, and one of those people remains hospitalized in stable condition.
The Red Cross is helping about 50 residents who were displaced.
north hollywood, fire, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 42 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
57 min ago