Los Angeles News
North Hollywood apartment fire: 1 dead, 4 hurt
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man has died after a fire erupted at an apartment complex in North Hollywood. Arson investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire.
"It was scary, really scary, 'cause you know, there was a lot of people in there, and people with disabilities," said Karina Gomez.
Gomez says she was across the street at her home when she saw smoke coming out of the second-story apartment at Riverton Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard at about 10:15 a.m. After calling 911, she immediately went across the street to help residents get out -- or in some cases, jump out of the building.
"There were some ladies trying to jump through the balcony, and I kind of saved them because I was catching them from upstairs, and that's when explosions started, and I started screaming to everybody, 'Get out,'" she said.
According to Los Angeles City Fire, five units in the 24-unit apartment complex were damaged. When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of one of the units.
Four people were treated for injuries, and one of those people remains hospitalized in stable condition.
The Red Cross is helping about 50 residents who were displaced.
north hollywood, fire, los angeles news, sid garcia
- EB 210 Fwy lanes closed, Gold Line shut down 24 min ago
- Protesters commemorate Armenian Genocide
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- OTRC: Beyonce on '100 Most Influential People' cover
- Pet of the Week: Mini Pinscher named Tabasco
34 min ago